Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Adventures in grooming

Do your dogs like grooming? Mine are fairly good with getting baths and being brushed, a couple even let me brush their teeth. When it comes to their nails, not so much.

I take them to a groomer, because it's much faster when a professional does it than when I fumble with the clippers, and I reason that being quick lessens the poor doggie's agony. They still put up a pretty good fight, and I keep expecting the groomers to flee when they see my car pull up outside... I tip them pretty well though, maybe that makes up for it...

It's a little hard with rescues, you never know what they've been through in their life, and why they don't want people to do certain things. One of the dogs has become pretty good - the first time we were there it took three people to hold and distract him, but now he accepts it pretty well. My groomer calls him, "The good one."

The "bad one" is also becoming pretty good, but it has taken a year of regular visits. When I first got her, each nail trim was a wrestling match between her and every person at the groomer's. Now she only needs one person to distract her while another does the actual clipping. They're learning that it's not the end of the world, but it takes time.

Do you have experiences with this? Do your pets accept having their feet handled?

No comments:

Post a Comment