Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Xoloitzcuintli

I recently learned there's a dog breed called Xoloitzcuintli. Try saying that three times fast... The Xolo... Xylo... dog comes in three sizes; toy, mini, and standard, and each has two varieties: hairless or coated. It's allegedly an ancient, original breed from Mexico. I so totally want one!

I snatched the image to the right from AKC's webpage about the breed.

The Xolo (I admit, there's no way I can spell the word right more than once) is one of the world's oldest and rarest breeds, and has existed in Mexico for over 3000 years. How cool is that! The Aztecs believed it helped guide souls to the afterlife.

They are prized for their loyalty and intelligence, and some areas view them as healing animals. The breed is described as calm, tranquil, aloof, and attentive.

For more information, check out Iam's dog breed guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment