Saturday, September 1, 2012

Have you given your dog a Kong lately?

About a year ago, a good friend asked if I ever give my dogs a Kong. I said, "A what?" She insisted, "A Kong." The words still didn't make any sense to me. A song? Sure I sometimes sing to them. They don't seem to care either way. If anything, they're happier if I don't sing.

Seeing my blank face, she laughed, "A Kong. It's a dog toy, haven't you ever seen a Kong?"

I shook my head and lifted an eyebrow when she pulled out something that looked like a plastic, red doggie poop.

My friend said, "They're great!"

I could not see how this peculiar object would entice a dog to play with it.

"You fill it with something good, like a little cream cheese, and freeze it. Keeps them occupied for hours."

Now, that made sense. I went to the pet store to get Kongs, and grumbled over them being expensive. During the past year, they've been absolute life savers. My own dogs are pretty calm, but some of the fosters that pass through the house have been crazy energetic. A Kong frozen with some cream cheese, peanut butter, or even yogurt inside keeps the most intense dog occupied at least for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment